Yin Yoga is a quieter, calmer and more grounded practice where you hold the poses for longer periods of time (usually from 2 to 6 minutes, can be longer).
Mainly on the floor, and mainly targeting the hips, torso and thighs, the idea of yin is to stress and stretch the deeper, denser connective tissues & fascia, tendons, ligaments and joint capsules. These more rigid tissues need continuous pressure for longer periods of time in order for them to slowly lengthen and open.
Yin yoga is both profoundly relaxing and re-energising. It stimulates the vital energy, the life force, prana or qi to flow through the meridians or the nadis, which are believed to be located deep within the fascial tissue. Yin yoga is founded on Chinese Medicine, which asserts that where Qi flows, health and well-being follow.
MY TOP 5 BENEFITS
• Increases body’s flexibility and range of motion
• Deeply relaxing and nurturing, bringing a profound sense of wellbeing
• Both prepares and conduces you to meditate / sitting still for long periods of time
• Recovers the natural curvature of the spine and extends the spine’s flexibility
• Brings awareness to both your physical and energetic body